Bioinformatics Analyst III
Leads bioinformatics projects.
- 1. Leads the work of co-workers providing effective communication,
direction, guidance and resources as appropriate.
- 2. Provides leadership for bioinformatics projects.
- 3. Leads the design and development efforts of major
bioinformatics-related programming projects.
- 4. Writes advanced scripts to access databases and analyze data.
- 5. Leads the effort for preparation and teaching of courses and/or
demonstrations on the use of bioinformatics tools.
- 6. Directs and guides DNA, RNA and protein sequence database
searches and the computational analysis of resulting data.
- 7. Provides workflow direction to subordinates and serves as a
mentor to junior staff.
- 8. Interprets complex biological information. Performs tasks
to reduce and consolidate output from software. Prepares data for
utilization by other scientists.
- 9. Performs all other duties as assigned.
- 1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- 2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement
- (QI) programs, as directed.
- 3. Ensures compliance with Joint Commission on and all other
Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- 4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer's needs, requests
and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using
inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- 5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player
through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening
attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- 6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by
participating in department and center-wide specific programs.
- 7. Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming
Life ®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the center,
provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working
environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards,
and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Advances skills using bioinformatics to solve biologically
important questions. Advanced in high-throughput data analysis and
familiarity with widely used genomic databases and software. Advanced
skills in utility programming (C Shell, Perl, BioPerl, JAVA, and other
languages) in a Linux environment, as well as designing, developing, and
programming databases (Oracle, MySQL). Must be able to work independently
and have advanced problem solving skills. Must have excellent
interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
Certification and Licensure
Master's degree in computer science and/or life sciences required.
PhD in Bioinformatics, computer science and/or life sciences is
A minimum of five (5) years of recent and related experience
or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is an office environment.
Frequent requirements may
include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a
workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings.
Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both
one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in
a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess
the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening;
standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good
hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while
handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using
keyboard for PC and word processing needs.
Occasional requirements may
include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools,
or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25
pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to
accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to
alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office
environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff,
in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the
ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure;
occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective
Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by
policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in the
May lead the tasks of co-workers